
By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer May 1, 5:21 am EDT
NEW YORK (AP)�Bobby Valentine has transformed from baseball manager to movie star.
The former New York Mets and Texas Rangers manager is featured in the documentary "The Zen of Bobby V," which is being screened at the Tribeca Film Festival and will be televised by ESPN2 on May 13�the manager�s 58th birthday.
Valentine was a contentious figure while managing the Texas Rangers (1985-92) and New York Mets (1996-02). In Japan, where he began his second stint as the manager of Japan�s Chiba Lotte Marines in the 2004, Valentine is more revered.
He is shown riding his bike around Tokyo during the 90-minute movie. He climbs Mt. Fuji and skis. The filmmakers show that a burger, a beer and a street have been named after him.
"And I eat the food and ride the trains and enjoy the culture immensely and even try to speak the language a little," he added, "and that�s probably picked up here and there."
Because he�s "across the pond"�as he termed the Pacific Ocean�it�s hard for him to keep track of what�s going on in the major leagues.
"I do know the Diamondbacks are off to a great start, but I can�t tell you who�s hurt on the Mets," he said. "I�m sure that the New York teams, playing the last year in their respective stadiums, are going to give their fans more than their money�s worth this year, and I think they�ll be at the top before it�s all said and done. But that�s just a gut feeling, it�s not based on any knowledge of the teams or the competition."
He said about 500 hours of video were shot for the movie. Scenes of Valentine�s karaoke singing were cut.
What did he sing?
"�My Way��what else would I sing?"
NEW YORK (AP)�Bobby Valentine has transformed from baseball manager to movie star.
The former New York Mets and Texas Rangers manager is featured in the documentary "The Zen of Bobby V," which is being screened at the Tribeca Film Festival and will be televised by ESPN2 on May 13�the manager�s 58th birthday.
Valentine was a contentious figure while managing the Texas Rangers (1985-92) and New York Mets (1996-02). In Japan, where he began his second stint as the manager of Japan�s Chiba Lotte Marines in the 2004, Valentine is more revered.
He is shown riding his bike around Tokyo during the 90-minute movie. He climbs Mt. Fuji and skis. The filmmakers show that a burger, a beer and a street have been named after him.
"And I eat the food and ride the trains and enjoy the culture immensely and even try to speak the language a little," he added, "and that�s probably picked up here and there."
Because he�s "across the pond"�as he termed the Pacific Ocean�it�s hard for him to keep track of what�s going on in the major leagues.
"I do know the Diamondbacks are off to a great start, but I can�t tell you who�s hurt on the Mets," he said. "I�m sure that the New York teams, playing the last year in their respective stadiums, are going to give their fans more than their money�s worth this year, and I think they�ll be at the top before it�s all said and done. But that�s just a gut feeling, it�s not based on any knowledge of the teams or the competition."
He said about 500 hours of video were shot for the movie. Scenes of Valentine�s karaoke singing were cut.
What did he sing?
"�My Way��what else would I sing?"
---------
Bobby V is the only player to have managed a team in both the Japan Series and the World Series. He is also one of only five Americans who have managed in Japan. +jak
No comments:
Post a Comment