Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Evolution



As nutty as it sounds -- and we can probably thank the last eight years of 'W' for this, Americans are disbelieving the Theory of Evolution at an alarming rate. As the chart shows, Icelanders have got more on the evolutionary ball than we do.

I think we can lay the blame on Creationism, which is defined as the doctrine that matter and all things were created, substantially as they now exist, by an omnipotent Creator, and not gradually evolved or developed. The bible says seven days -- it's seven days, end of story to these folks. WOW!

Let's cut to the chase. Creationists, in their zeal to refute Evolution, tell us that it is 'just a theory.' Unfortunately most of us are ignorant of the definition of scientific theory, so we don't defend it properly. 'Scientific Theory' is NOT just a half-baked idea, it is more than 2/3rds of the way toward Scientific LAW, lacking only a couple of dotted 'i's' and crossed 'ts?' As an example, Gravity is a Scientific Theory. There is a simple law of gravity (Newton's apple, Sandy Koufax's fast ball) but as that law expands to include, say, Quantum Physics and Relativity, the Theory definition applies.

Anyway, the link on this page (Click on the title) will explain the differences (and definitions of) Scientific Hypothesis, Theory and Law; the next time you argue with a Creationist, have some ammo!

2 comments:

  1. By the way, this blogging is fun, right?! Don't miss mine from today...I'm posting mine in the evenings.
    TF

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you loud and clear as always, Dad, but as someone trying to "find my faith" how am I supposed to take the bible? As a long parable? (I am asking honestly, not doubting you at all.)

    Tracy Face

    ReplyDelete